Welcome to the Governor Morehead School Alumni Association webpage
What we’re all about
The Governor Morehead School Alumni Association is a progressive organization whose main objective is to actively support a meaningful quality of life for both current and former GMS students.
A little bit of history
The school was originally composed of two campuses. One on Garner Road and the other on Ashe Avenue in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The school was established by Governor John Motely Morehead in 1845 serving all ranges of blind and deaf students. The Garner Road campus was known as the Greyhounds for its basketball, track and field athletics. The Ashe Avenue campus was known as the Chargers for its well-known wrestling team. The two campuses were merged onto the Ashe Avenue campus in 1977.